GrahamsBloggerNovelTemplate

Chapter 13

3:40 PM Saturday: The phone in Mary’s house had been disconnected. When I got back to Testament I ran into the post office where I had seen a pay phone earlier. I dialed Cheri’s number: busy. While I waited, I made a decision. I couldn’t wait till Monday, I decided. I called Bill, got him, and, keeping it short, explained about the ads. When I told him I wanted them in Sunday’s papers if possible, he said he might have to pull in some markers, but that it wouldn’t be a problem. I thanked him and hung up, greatly relieved. I can’t explain it, I just got spooked up there in the attic.

I tried Cheri’s number again. It rang three times before she answered.

"Cheri?"

"Saul!"

"What?"

"Saul Panzer! You look just like…"

"Okay, some other time, all right? Cheri, listen, have you ever heard of---" I consulted the scrap of paper in my hand, "David Moore?"

"Yeah, sure…"

"Great! Where does he live?"

"He lives in one of the warehouses. What…"

"Warehouses? Did you say warehouses?"

"Yeah, he moved in it when he came here, oh, ten years ago. What is…"

"Okay, Cheri, thanks. I’ll talk to you later." I hung up.

There were two big warehouses right in the center of town. They were at the corner that had street lights and stop lights. They had looked deserted to me, but I didn’t hesitate. It would have taken longer to get the car and drive over than it was to walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go to chapter: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23